- Shipping & Returns
- Why Buy From Us
The Pop-Up Roof Top Tent Reinvented
The Recon Pop-Up Roof Top Tent is a great entry-level 2-person tent for the weekend warrior looking for a bit more comfort compared to the Clamshell type Roof Top Tent, where taller persons sometimes struggle with enough foot space. The Recon offers awesome 360º views through four massive windows, all with the option to zip up the insect mesh to keep bugs out, without compromising the sights nature throws at you from the top of your vehicle.
With an innovative design that fits the gas struts inside the frame lift system, Recon can be set up in 2 minutes or less by releasing the hidden clasps and giving a slight push to raise the tent to 40”, without having to use a handle to crank it up or down. This leaves you with more time to explore the surroundings, prepare food, or simply enjoy sharing campfire stories with friends and family.
The Recon is an awesome-looking tent too, with its bright orange color contrasting strikingly against the black and gray fabric, it lets everyone in camp know that you have arrived. However, if you are trying to blend into the surroundings or to stay out of sight, you should probably go for a more discrete roof top tent option.
Proudly MADE IN THE USA, the Recon Pop-Up Roof Top Tent fits most vehicles with a roof rack or crossbars. This tactical styled Hard Shell Roof Top Tent is amongst the lightest and slimmest on the market weighing in at 135 lbs and measuring only 5” tall. It comes included with a sleeping pad with cover, as well as top crossbars with a load capacity of 75 lbs in transit, perfect for storing extra gear, SUPs, surfboards, etc.
The slim and lightweight design does come at a cost in terms of space. With a sleeping space of 45" this is not a wide tent, which is fine if you like to snuggle closely with your partner. However, if you are a light sleeper, or if two larger persons are sharing the tent you might feel a bit cramped.
Excellent vehicle integration keeps the Recon snug to the vehicle (1″ above the roof) for better aerodynamics, less drag, and wind noise. This helps to give minimum impact to the vehicle’s MPG when using it as a daily driver with the tent fitted and while en route to your overlanding adventure. The Recon comes with basic mounting hardware included.
Three Quick Questions For Carsten
1. Would you use this tent in the winter, when the temperature is below 40ºF?
If it was only for one night and with a GOOD sleeping bag, sure no problem. But as a 4-season full-time overlanding tent, not unless Badass Tents starts to offer an optional “Winter Hood” insulation kit.
2. What do you like about this tent?
I like the low weight and slim profile, which makes a huge difference if you are fitting it to a vehicle with standard suspension. People often forget how much it changes a vehicle’s stability and safety performance when you change its center of gravity by adding too much weight too high up. You should never ignore or exceed the manufacturer's load restrictions.
As mentioned above the low weight and slim design does come at a price. With a sleeping space only 45" wide you can feel cramped in there if you are two larger persons sharing the tent. If you are just on your own you will have plenty of space in the Recon. As a reference, my wife and I are tiny persons (5,1' and 5.5', both under 140 lbs), and the tent we have been using for our international adventures the last couple of years is 55" wide. But keep in mind that we use our tent for longer trips where you need more space. If you are a weekend warrior, or only go on shorter trips the Recon will do great.
3. What would you change about the tent if you could?
I would upgrade the mattress, but I would do that to almost any tent available on the market, with a few exceptions. I would also install a two-color light bar inside it. One that gives a bright warm white light for when you need good lightning inside at night and have the doors or insect mesh closed. And one red or amber light to find your way in and out of the tent at night, without bringing all the bugs with you. Do that with the white light on and you’ll have a zoo inside your tent in no time.
- Fast to pitch and to take down
- A good option for taller people compared to Clamshell type roof top tents
- 360º view through 4 massive windows
- Ladder (optional) and bedding/sleeping bags fit inside when closed
- The low profile has minimal miles per gallon (MPG) impact when fitted on your daily driver
- Basic mounting hardware included
- Optional top crossbars to add additional load space
- Bright colors make it great if you want to be seen in camp
- Insect mesh keeps the bugs out while offering good ventilation for those hot summer days and nights
- Bright colors make it hard to blend into the surroundings if you want to camp unnoticed
- It is a narrow tent (45”), which can make it feel cramped with two larger persons inside
- Does not come with a comfy mattress included
- Ladder not included
Don't miss out on the opportunity to make your camping experience unforgettable. Order your Badass Recon Pop-up Roof Top Tent now and start enjoying the great outdoors like never before!
- Capacity: 2 Adults
- Fabric: 400 denier 8 oz waterproof and UV-resistant modern nylon. This is completed by a fully integrated water-seal barrier system with a water-shedding A-frame design including coated and weather-resistant zippers.
- Outer shell: Aerodynamic Tactical Onyx Black Storage Case made from 90% recycled durable impact-modified ABS hard shell layering material over a high-strength extruded aluminum frame
- Sleeping Pad: 1" Thick Thermal Regulating Pad (100% Recycled)
- Integrated Mattress: Yes
- Window Insect Mesh: Yes, micro-weave mesh, fully watertight when zipped closed
- Top Crossbar: Yes
- Ladder (Optional): 8' Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder
- Weight: 135 lbs
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- PLEASE NOTE: Ladder And Vehicle Not Included
FAST & FREE SHIPING to the lower 48 states
We don't mess around with fine print and extra charges. Instead, we like things to be simple and easy for you.
Read more about the terms and conditions that apply in our Shipping Policy
30-Day Easy Returns
As experienced Overlanders, we fully understand that things do not always go according to plan.
That is why we offer you our "No Questions Asked" 30-Day Return Policy, so you can get back on the road for more adventures in a heartbeat.
Read more about the terms and conditions that apply in our Easy Returns Policy
We get it. You've got a lot of choices when it comes to online retailers, so why should you even bother spending your hard-earned bucks shopping with us?
Here are four short reasons why Open Road Overland is not like the rest of the bunch and why we believe that your shopping experience with us is not only 100% safe, but will also exceed your expectations, so you come back for more and maybe even bring your friends.
REASON #1: 100% SAFE & SECURE ONLINE SHOPPING
We use encrypted SSL security and are Level 1 PCI DSS compliant to ensure that your credit card information and every transaction on our website are 100% protected.
REASON #2: DRIVING THE WORLD SINCE 1998
We started overlanding in 1998, way before overlanding was even a term. Since then we have spent the last 25 years zig-zagging the planet trail testing the types of equipment you find in our store. In other words, we learned the hard way what works and what doesn’t, through hands-on experience during our own adventures on 6 continents (yes, we still haven’t made it to Antarctica). To ensure that we add value to your adventure with the products you shop with us, our policy is that nothing goes on our website before it has been thoroughly reviewed. This means that you will not find anything in our store that we would not bring along our use on our own overland adventures.
REASON #3: WE HAVE DRIVEN ALMOST EVERYTHING
Secondly, we have been driving almost any type of vehicle you can think of over the years. This means that we have acquired a strong skill set to answer any question you have concerning your own vehicle setup, no matter whether you drive a standard passenger car, a pickup truck, or a fully rigged 4x4 overlanding vehicle.
REASON #4: WE WANT EVERYBODY TO GO OVERLANDING
Thirdly, we strongly believe and promote that overlanding should be accessible to everybody, no matter what you drive, or what level of experience you have. That means that we can guide you as a novice overlander just starting out, as well as giving advice to you as an ultra pro with years of bushwhacking behind the wheel. That’s why you will also see both entry-level products, as well as top-of-the-line gear on our site, so we can cater to everybody looking to elevate their own overland adventures. No matter what, you can rest assured that the products you find in our store are here because they do the job they were made to do.
WHAT ELSE DO I GET?
Apart from the above we of course also provide you with:
- Free Shipping to the lower 48 states, with no extra charges. Ever!
- Price Match Guarantee. Best prices online, guaranteed.
- 30-Day Easy Returns. Not happy with your product, we'll take it back no questions asked, and without charging you ANY restocking fee. Ever!
- Great Service. We pride ourselves on the best service, anywhere.
- Your Satisfaction Guaranteed. We handpick our products for quality to make sure you will love using them on your own adventures. But if there is ever something wrong, we'll fix it.